Thursday, December 15, 2011

Do I pay off my credit card or pay down my unsecured personal line of credit?

I have both an unsecured personal line of credit and a credit card with basically the same interest rate. My credit card utilization is at 30% while I have utilized 87% of my line of credit. If I want to improve my credit score the quickest, do I focus on paying off my credit card or focus on paying my line of credit down to 30%?|||When stan c claims to be a 'Retired bill collector for 35 years', he must mean he retired 35 years ago. There is NO WAY your credit score is over 800. It is also impossible to reasonably estimate your credit score without MUCH more information than you provide.


For all practical purposes, INCLUDING your credit score, a credit card IS an unsecured personal line of credit. Therefore it makes absolutely no difference which you pay first.|||skip the credit score and think practical dollars and sense.





unless you've stopped buying things, COMPLETELY STOPPED, on the credit card, you get charged interest on every purchase as long as you're carrying a balance. pay that off and keep it paid off to avoid paying interest. this saves actual cash -- your credit score will catchup later.|||A credit score is based on a 12 month activity. It usually goes up between 5 to 10% per month. If you have 24 months activity on both, your credit score should be between 749 to 840.|||Payoff the one that has the higher interest rate first.

No comments:

Post a Comment