Monday, December 12, 2011

Is it risky to give out credit card and other personal info for Internet ads offering something for free?

I get lots of marketing emails offering "free" products but then they ask for personal information such as credit card info so that they can deduct a minimal shipping and handling fee. Is this some kind of scam? Some of them tell you you have to sign up for one or two offers from a list of about 2 dozen in order to get the "free" item. Isn't this unfair marketing or illegal? I get these emails all the time and after I start filling in the required information I realize I'm getting taken because they want your personal information and try to make it seem innocent by telling you they have to collect a S %26amp; H fee.|||Yes they are scams, as well as spams. As you have guessed, they attempt to lure you for your identity. Without having a proper disclaimer, they nowhere state that your personal information can be kept safe. The golden rule is "Never give out personal information, social security number, credit card number, or any password unless you trust them 100%"|||Dont ever give your number out to anyone on line is your safest bet it is pretty safe to pay bills on line dont go to a link on a email and give that info out. If it is someone you do business with go to there site through your address bar|||It is very risky.. don't do it.|||Yes, these are scams. Usually they want you to chose 1 o 2 of their sponsors and then they charge your credit card. I had a charge on my credit card for long distance on my phone bill, I had to call and cancel. They took it off but I didn't realize I had even checked anything. It was for around $25.00, so be careful and just delete things such as this. I was always told that if it sounds to good to be true that it usually is, so buyer beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment